Aircraft Photography



The Art of Flight.

People who know me know that as well as photography I have a passion for aircraft. It therefore goes without saying that whenever possible I love to combine the two.



The golden age

Over the years I've been lucky enough to capture performances of some beautiful examples of aeronautical engineering, from the wooden Mosquito, through the EE Lightening, to the spectacular SR71. I can fondly remember the air shows at places like Mildonhall, Alconbury, and even Weathersfield, where the smell of jet fuel mixed with the smell of the burgers specially flown in from America. Sadly with shrinking budgets and growing security concerns, many air shows have become distant memories. Along with less displays, I now have less opportunities to travel to them.


Continuing Love

However my love of flight has not diminished, and as well as enjoying aircraft in their natural environment, I have always had a fascination with the technical side. So some time ago I started trying to use my photography in an artistic way to try and capture the minutiae, beauty and spirit of these wondrous flying machines.






Getting in Close

Now as I get the opportunity to visit museums etc I also use my camera to try and pick out the smaller details and more unusual angles that allow the subjects to be viewed from a new perspective. Often the rich vivid colours can produce an almost abstract image, whilst at the other end a black and white image can highlight the form, function.


Reaching for the Sky

Above all I like to try and capture the romance and joy involved in the constant struggle against gravity.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Falling Value Of Photographs?

What's in the Bag

A Photographers Reputation